[Gllug] c++ newbie complier probs

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Wed Oct 23 08:11:48 UTC 2002

Jonathan Harker writes:

>For a very good book on C++ from the horse's mouth, I recommend Bjarne
>Stroustrup's book The C++ Programming Language. It is only available in
>dead tree format, but I refer to it all the time.
>   http://www.research.att.com/~bs/homepage.html

No, no, no!!!!! I'd recommend that *anyone* learning C++ stay well
clear of this book. The guy may have designed the language, but when
it comes to explaining it to others, he's useless. It's apallingly
written (in stark contrast to K&R, for example), and there are *far*
better alternatives available. I quite liked "Teach yourself C++", by
Al Stevens, MIS Press (beware the numerous other books with the same
name).

Curiously, Stroustrup's "Annotated C++ Reference Manual" is much,
much better. I suspect that's the result of having been co-written
with someone that know's how to write...

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk