[Gllug] LinuxVolunteering summary

Alex Gonzalez alex.gonzalez at netmatters.co.uk
Wed Oct 2 21:33:17 UTC 2002

Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
> Thanks for the summary Alex.  Very good!
>
> On Tue 01 Oct, Alex Gonzalez bloviated thus:
>

>>1) Decide a name. Proposals: squad-geek ( Simon, correct me if incorrect
>>),  LinuxVolunteering.
>>

> Geek Squad.  LinuxVolunteering is just a bit too, umm,
> straightforward, for my liking.  But hey, I used to work for dot-coms
> with names like "Spike" and "Wide West" :)
>

>>2) Set up a mailing list. Maybe introduce ourselves and send some kind
>>of skill list to make clear areas of expertise, who to ask when and
>>about what, and what we can offer as a group.
>>

> Yes.  Who runs the linux.co.uk mailing lists?  The sooner we get this
> set up, the better.
>

>>4) Speak about PC recycling. What if the NGOs don't have adequate
>>equipment, can we help?  In www.do-it.org.uk I found a NGO which recycle
>>PCs and equipment. Should we contact them to see if they would help
>>other NGOs?
>>

> PC recycling is a high maintenance job.  It requires someone who is
> very dedicated and, here's the hard part, a good amount of work and
> storage space in a location that is centrally accessible to everyone.
> Transport is also needed.
>
> Great idea in principle but in practise it needs a very dedicated
> champion to make it work.
>

>>Thinking about how to make decisions, I suggest a flat structure were
>>issues are decided on simple mayority, were we are under no obligation
>>and we invest only the time we can. If as a group something is decided,
>>individuals are free not to feel tied to the group decisions.
>>

> I suggest no decisions.  Mailing list run by a benevolent dictator
> (don't like it, set up another one principle.)  We don't need an
> "organisation", just a mailing list and a loose network of people.
> Will explain next week how it works in rent-a-geek.

My concern is that if we go for a no decisions basis, everything is
going to be too slow.
As an example, I count at least 2 offers to set up the mailing list, and
  plenty of dates for a meeting, but no decisions. As I see it, if we
had a fix number of people ( i.e members of a mailing list ), we set a
period of time to give a vote on something, and we apply simple mayority
after that time, at least things move.

Any other input on this?

My vote for mailing list would be Jason Clifford's ukpost, and date for
a meeting 12th October, possibly arriving after 5.

The PC recycling point was not to get involved in it, but mainly acting
as a bridge between NGO's. If a NGO recycles PCs ans send them for
example to developing countries, maybe they would offer to help out
other NGOs, but need to make sure that the equipment is going to be
installed and used.

Finally, a vote for LinuxVolunteering. I just think that a name easy to
understand and that links clearly with the purpose of the group is easy
to market and will make it easier to attract NGOs.(Have I counted 3
easies?) Most NGOs and non profit organizations have names which are
very explicit with what they do. I think that's the way to go.

Alex

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk