[Gllug] Compaq Compatability

George F.Saxby george at gogointernet.co.uk
Sun Oct 6 11:47:23 UTC 2002

On Saturday 05 October 2002 10:36, you wrote:
> Chris Bell wrote:
> >
> >    It is a Deskpro XE 450 (486DX2), the original HDD was tiny, so I
> > loaded Debian onto a larger disc, but looked up the information on the
> > Compaq web site when it failed to re-boot from the HDD.
>
> I have a Compaq Deskpro 575 (P90 I think) and it came with a 600Mb HD so I
> put in a 3Gig and completely failed to get linux to boot off it :-)  I did
> a network install of freeBSD and it worked fine, it was my main development
> server for months.
>
> Will.
Hi,
 Compaq's store their BIOS type info on a hidden partition, if you check the
US compaq site you will find a reference to an "un-official" linux + compaq
site run by a fella called Winters. I had a similar problem with a Proliant
server (remember that Walid)  and redhat 6.2.
 Get the Compaq Model number and you can download  the partition restore
discs & then REMEMBER not to Fdisk the whole disk again LoL

--
Bandiera tuxa trionfera,
Evviva il penguin e la liberta

               George F. Saxby