[Gllug] Compaq Compatability

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Fri Oct 4 16:52:42 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 18:43, Richard Hall wrote:
> I am thinking of buying some Compaq Evo Desktop D510 Space saver systems
> for our new Phd. Students.   Some of these people will want to run linux
> on them (hopefully all of them but I doubt it).    Has anyone had any
> good or bad experiences with these systems under Linux or windows?

Hmmm....
There was a post to linuxmanagers earlier today, which I append.
I guess a quick check to make SURE the chipset is supported and X is
easy to install is justified

Min Oo Tint  min at psde.mec.mei.co.jp
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 10:50:50 +010

Hi All:

I am trying to install RH 7.3 on Compaq Evo D510 (basic configuration) for
EDA use.

 <http://www.compaq.co.uk/products/desktops/evo/d510/minitower/index.stm>
http://www.compaq.co.uk/products/desktops/evo/d510/minitower/index.stm

After installation + reboot - GUI did not come up.

I assume it has something to do with graphic card so I run 'setup' and try
to configured the X configuration.
It keep reporting that it encounter error.

Can some tell me what the likely problems is?

I have installed redhat successfully on older models of mini desktops from
Compaq and never had this problem.

I need to get this machine up and running soon.

Rgds,

Min Oo

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk