OT: OS X editors (was Re: [Gllug] ADVERT: Free Access to IBM Mainframe running Linux)

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Wed Oct 16 10:24:17 UTC 2002

Simon Stewart writes:

>For example, I can highlight a word, select the dictionary service,
>and OS X will open my favourite web browser and look up the
>definition of the word. Obviously, that's a basic example, but you
>get the idea.

There's nothing new under the sun... The trivial example you've given
can be easily done in X. And in fact, Alan Cox's Googlizer already does
essentially the same thing:

	http://www.linux.org.uk/~telsa/BitsAndPieces/googlizer.html

X in general was designed to be componentized, so that apps could make
use of handy bits and peices from elsewhere. Sadly, depressingly few
apps make any attempt to do so :-(

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk