[Gllug] Hosting from home

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Wed Oct 2 08:59:52 UTC 2002

>I hear a lot about running servers on old, cheap hardware but doesn't
>this affect:
>
>- disk access speed if the HD is old?
>- memory performance if the RAM is old spec?
>
>If it really is possible to use such old hardware without performance
>being affected too much on small sites then I plan to set-up a network
>with seperate boxes for:
>
>- Firewall
>- Web server
>- Database server
>- Log server
>
>Any suggestions?

As others have said, pretty much any old box you can get your hands on
is more than capable or saturating an ADSL line, so don't worry about
disk or memory speed.

Also, why the separate boxen? I'd always argue for having a separate
firewall box, but there's no reason you can't stick the web server,
database and logs all on a single box. Remember, you've only got to
be able to saturate a 256Kb/s line. Unless you're doing some hideously
complex database queries, there's no reason to need a separate DB
server. Having a separate log server only really comes into its own
when you have a web server farm, for example, so that everything's
logged in one place.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk