[Gllug] Re:Wide eyed and innosent new members 21/10/02

Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk
Thu Oct 24 19:47:38 UTC 2002

Dennis Kersch,
denniskersh at hotmail.com wrote inter alia:-
>I do intend to come along on the 2nd Nov with the club computer and
>hopefully a couple of members
>Is it best to uninstall all windows programs or should we reformat the
>hard drive, we have a 486 computer
>is that OK. Thank you perhaps I'll meet some of you on the 2nd Nov.

The answer is that it is O.K. But I'm surprised nobody has asked you for
further details about this 486 machine. For instance the size of the hard
disk, the amount of ram and whether the cdrom drive is bootable. All these
impact on what can be easily achieved with this machine IMHO. If the Windows
programs are to be left on the machine (which I think is a good idea),
whether there is enough free space left to run X is also very important to
ascertain.

--
Regards from Mark Preston

www.markpreston.co.uk