[Gllug] RPM difficulties

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Wed Oct 30 13:45:26 UTC 2002

Xander D Harkness(xander at harkness.co.uk)@Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 11:44:37AM +0000:
> Following the conversation on apt-get, it seems appropriate to chase it with
> some rpm misery.
>
> I am trying to remove a package using the command rpm -e gdm
>
> This is the tail of the output from strace.  At the bottom it loops with a
> permanent timeout.
>
> Does anyone know what the problem is and if it is fixable?

IIRC try:
rpm -rebuilddb

i've seen the RPM databases get truly borked before, symptoms are
usually that any attempt to install or remove packages causes it to
stall.

before you do taht tho, i's also recommend taking a copy of /var/lib/rpm
first.

--
keys:  http://codex.net/pgp/gpg.asc http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 It matters not whether you win or lose;