[Gllug] HTTP CONNECT

Vidar Hokstad vidar at hokstad.name
Fri Oct 11 09:42:03 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 10:29, Simon Wilcox wrote:
> On 11 Oct 2002, Mark Lowes wrote:
>
> > If you can't be bothered to type in the url correctly why should you
> > expect the server to help you out?
>
> If you can't be bothered to accept my shorthand, I can't be bothered to
> view your site :)
>
> "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send"
>
> I had to go digging for the source of this quote and, although it pops up
> all over the RFCs, it seems to be most explicit in RFC1122, section 1.2.2
>
> http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/std/std3.txt
>
> Anyone know if that is the definitive origin ?

It's definitively not the definitive origin (Hint: The [IP:1] near by
the quote in that document is a bibliography reference). The statement
is generally attributed to Jon Postel, who was  the editor of RFC 791,
where you can find this:

"In general, an implementation must be conservative
 in its sending behavior, and liberal in its receiving behavior."

 Vidar Hokstad
<vidar at hokstad.name>

Information contained herein is Global Name Registry Proprietary Information and is made available to you because of your interest in our company.    This information is submitted in confidence and its disclosure to you is not intended to constitute public disclosure or authorization for disclosure to other parties.
What's your .name?
Get one at www.name

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk