[Gllug] Samba optimisation

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Tue Oct 15 17:17:08 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 15 October 2002 3:47 pm, Daniel Andersson wrote:
> > > could it be the actual harddrive in the server?
> > >
> > > scsi or ide?
> > > raid?
> >
> > Well I don't think so. It's a SCSI HD (Ultra 160 Drive on an older 40 M/s
> > card - No RAID) but it's not really ticking over that much during the
> > running of
> > the report. And it works real quick on an old 95 machine with an IDE disk
> > But I'll look into it further...
>
> the 95-machine, is it closer (ie network-wise) to the report-machine?
> ie could there be a problem with the network?

No. It's on the same 100M switch. Can copy files between Report (Win 98)
Machine and Samba or Win95  machine at about 8MB per sec (Slightly slower on
Win 95 machine actually).

> or could it be that it opens that many files that the filesystem might have
> a problem
> which fs are you using?

ext2. It does have to lock a lot of files. Are there performance issues with
ext2 in this respect? I might try a reiser partition or something when I have
a bit more time. I can't exactly pull the machine apart until the weekend :-)

> can you share the [global]-paragraf of your smb.conf?

[global]
        interfaces = 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
        dns proxy = No
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        workgroup = TOPDECK
        server string = Samba Server
        netbios name = SERVER_NT
        os level = 40
        max log size = 50
        oplock = yes
        level2 oplocks = yes
        fake oplocks = yes
        share modes = off
        read prediction = yes
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192

The Samba server is a PII-233 with 192 MB RAM (It's a Compaq Pro-Signia).
When the report is running, smbd is running at about 30% in 'top'. So it isn't
the CPU maxing out. It could be memory bandwidth. But my point is it runs OK
on a PII-300 with Windows 95 as the file server!!! Not what I would have
expected. Which makes me think it is a more underlying fundamental design
thing or something. Maybe W95 cheats somehow.

Steve.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk