Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Tue Oct 15 16:14:26 UTC 2002

On Tue 15 Oct, Daniel Andersson bloviated thus:
> have a look at the message source (whole message including headers etc) on
> the email that Simon Stewart sent about 15 minutes ago
>
> www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1806.txt
> a way of formatting emails, apparently

   Two common ways of presenting multipart electronic messages are as
   main document with a list of separate attachments, and as a single
   document with the various parts expanded (displayed) inline. The
   display of an attachment is generally construed to require positive
   action on the part of the recipient, while inline message
   components are displayed automatically when the message is
   viewed. A mechanism is needed to allow the sender to transmit this
   sort of presentational information to the recipient; the
   Content-Disposition header provides this mechanism, allowing each
   component of a message to be tagged with an indication of its
   desired presentation semantics.

> don't really see the need for it
> and since i read my mail in outlook (express), which can't display them
> correctly, it really annoys me

Here's the train of thought:
1) Signed messages need a discrete attachment because changes to a
   single character will cause the signature to be invalidated.
2) Since mail clients treat attachments as, well, attachments, there
   needs to be a way of indicating that this attachment is "message
   body".
3) Outlook Express happily ignores said standard.  Strangely, Outlook
   works without complaint.

> (yes, flame me with all the sheit about outlook sucking and not conforming
> to standards etc etc)

Done.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

 "Put it before them briefly so they will read it, clearly
  so they will appreciate it, picturesquely so they will
  remember it and, above all, accurately so they will be
  guided by its light."

- Joseph Pulitzer, the man who presided over the
  tabloidisation of newspapers in North America.