[Gllug] HTTP CONNECT

Paul Nasrat pauln at truemesh.com
Fri Oct 11 11:02:27 UTC 2002

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 10:57:15AM +0100, Wulf Forrester-Barker wrote:

> It's a shame really that URLs use the same character to delimit the
> server from the domain as is used to delimit the different portions of

> (or using some other character... anything that won't turn up in a
> domain name) rather than
>
> http://www.web-den.org.uk/home/
>
> Was any consideration given to that when the format of URLs was being
> defined? (quote me a relevant RFC and I'll RTFM ;-)

I think the issue is more mapping services onto hosts.

I haven't played with it too much but mdns for zeroconf (as implemented
in Rendezvous) uses resolution via standard record types SVR and PTR:

http://www.multicastdns.org/
http://files.dns-sd.org/draft-cheshire-dnsext-nias.txt

It'd require smarter clients resolver but only record additions to
dns.

nias can be used over unicast as well.

Paul

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk