[Gllug] slightly OT - linux consultancy enquiry

Pavel Bradut Boghita bradut at freeuk.com
Thu Oct 24 19:27:39 UTC 2002

First of all sorry for this longish posting and I do apologise if this is the
wrong place to ask about this things.

I just came back from signing papers for a new flat I am renting and talking
with the estate agent it turns out that he is also some sort of the technical
guy for the office. They bought various gear themselves and he configured a
little network there on windows 98 with tcp/ip. He mentioned that he plans to
upgrade to Windows 2000 because they want VPN set up between the two offices
of the same firm which are at different locations.
On both offices they have ADSL with a router provided by BT which also acts
as the gateway. There is no file server, he does the backup for the whole
network, manually on his pc.
I did suggest that he may want to consider other options like Linux, and
Debian was my recommendation to him, based on my personal experience with the
system.
In this context I mentioned that he could put the licence money to better use
by paying a consultant to set the things up for him, a file server, VPN
whatever they run at the moment.

I couldn't really tell him how much this kind of consultancy would cost him,
so I am hoping that people on this list could give me an idea.

Regards,

Bradut

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk