[Gllug] Mandrake 9.0

Neil Fryer neil.fryer at 12snap.com
Thu Oct 3 14:54:05 UTC 2002

maybe start looking at slackware.org   :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: John Winters [mailto:john at linuxemporium.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2002 3:52 PM
To: gllug at linux.co.uk
Subject: Re: [Gllug] Mandrake 9.0

On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 15:51, Eugene Grimsdell wrote:
> Ok now I am going to bang my head a couple of times against the wall,
chuck my P4 in a dusban and set my car alight !!!!!!!!!!

> I have just done a fresh install of Mandrake 9 and it brings up eth0 with
no errors and standard security. The problem is that I tried 2 diffrent
network cards and I still cant ping any system around me (nor can I browse
the net) I took a knoppix cd, poped it into the cdrom and booted on the same
system... and I am Writing this email via knoppix so that means there is no
problem with my network card.

> Can anybody tell me where to start looking ?
>
> Using a 3com 905B and a Realtek 8139 and on both it loads the right
modules but still no network.

> I can ping the local Ip address but noware beyond.
>
> PS I have installed 3 times with difrent network setings from static to
dhcp and still no luck. ifconfig reports no problems when ading eth0
manually.

> routing table is correct...........off to go bang head.
>
> Please help and thanx

Have you remembered to use "ping -n" to eliminate possible DNS problems?

After you've tried and failed to ping something what is the output from
"arp -a" and "ifconfig"?

HTH
John

--
The Linux Emporium - the source for Linux in the UK
See http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/

We had a woodhenge here once but it rotted.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk