[Gllug] Mandrake installation- installing boot loader

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Sat Oct 19 12:48:19 UTC 2002

Andrew Black(andrew at black1.org.uk)@Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 12:29:07PM +0100:
> Hi
> I have just finished a madrake installation but now suffer from the minor
> irritation that I can'boot :-).
> If I try and boot it takes me to the compaq utitlies in a small partition at
> the front of the disk.
>
> I wasnt paying attention at the point where it asked me about boot loaders,
> and I suspect that the answer is I need to put LILO on.
> How can I change the boot options without having to reinstall the whole of
> Linux?
>
> Or is there anything else I should be checking for.

boot off the CD.
then, you need to get to a shell prompt such that you can manipulate the
filesystem on disk.  from my experiences with MDK in the past ( <= 8.2
), ive always opted to perform an upgrade off the CD.  that has the
benefit of mounting the FS for you.  but before you go anywhere near
actually installing packages, switch over to another tty.  e.g. Alt-F2

check the FS is mounted ok, and chroot into it:

# chroot /mnt /bin/bash

then just edit lilo.conf and run lilo, all from within the chroot.
when done, just reboot.

thats what i've down in the past, i hope that gives you an idea of where
you can start.

--
keys:  http://codex.net/pgp/gpg.asc http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 [a] The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than
 the British or Americans.

 [b] On the other hand, the French eat a lot of fat and also suffer fewer
 heart attacks than the British or Americans.

 [c] Conclusion: Eat what you like. It's speaking English that kills you.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk