[Gllug] OT: File associations in outlook/exchange (or "Colt suck")

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Wed Oct 23 16:08:55 UTC 2002

Does anyone know how to convince outlook and/or exchange to send an
attachment with a particular content-type?

The reason I'm asking is that we get daily status reports from
Colt, but they're sending them from Outlook, which attaches them as
application/octet-streams, rather than application/pdf. While this may
seem like a minor thing, it's a pain in the ass, as it means I have to
save it to a file, and then view it with xpdf/acroread/gv, rather than
just clicking on it directly from my MUA.

When we try sending using outlook here (without Exchange), it works
as it's meant to. Note that is doesn't seem to use Windows file
associations, either. If we reassociate PDF with another application
(e.g., Word), then it still sends it as application/pdf, which
implies Outlook has its own lookup table somewhere. Harry... any
chance of sending me a PDF to check if it's Colt's excahnge server,
or just this guy's outlook setup?

Thanks,

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk