[Gllug] Can't connect to the Internet.

mriscott at yahoo.co.uk mriscott at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Oct 29 13:43:39 UTC 2002

> >Drop down to a command line (CTRL ALT F1),
>
> I did that and I got a totally black screen that frightened the hell out of
> me. I had to do a reboot to get back to normal.

To get back to X-windows from a console, user CTRL ALT F7.

CTRL ALT F1-6 give you virtual consoles ( 'full screen xterms' )

N.B.  It is just possible (though unlikely) that you have a different
number of virtual consoles (6 is the default in every linux I've seen, but...)
Try F8, F9 if F7 doesn't give you X.

Though a bit scary for a newbie, I can heartily recommend getting to know
the console - once you know what you're doing, it is easier.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk