[Gllug] ZIP discs - write protection

itsbruce at uklinux.net itsbruce at uklinux.net
Tue Oct 22 12:57:45 UTC 2002

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 01:23:29PM +0100, t.clarke wrote:
> I have a 100MB ZIP 'utilities' disc, which I would like to re-use, as I don't
> have a Windows system on which to run the utilities anyway!
>
> However, it is write-protected, presumably by some magic flag on the disc itself
> since I can see no plasticky-bits to jiggle with !!
>
> Does anyone one know how to un-protect the disk so I can fdisk it clean for
> use with linux ?

You need the mtools package:

 Mtools is a collection of utilities to access MS-DOS disks from Unix
 without mounting them. It supports Win'95 style long file names,
 OS/2 Xdf disks, ZIP/JAZ disks and 2m disks (store up to 1992kB on a
 high density 3 1/2 disk).
 Also included in this package are commands to eject and manipulate
 the write/password protection control of Zip disks.

--
Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk