[Gllug] Mandrake installation- installing boot loader

Andrew Black (li) andrew-li at black1.org.uk
Wed Oct 23 07:50:00 UTC 2002

> Could it be that LILO is already installed? It should be in the first
> sector of your /boot partition rather than in the MBR, where the Compaq
> utilities live.

Yes - I think it was installed but the MBR was passing control to the boot
record in the wrong partition.
I did an "upgrade" to redo that bit of the installation.

Maybe the subject of LILO, multi boot and partitioning could be a subject
for a GLLUG talk.  It is something that is pretty important to get right,
particularly if you are trying to coexist with another OS. If you cock that
up, you might loose access to you other well loved (?) OS.

Further problems I have
- I can't log in.  It gives me a login prompt but if I type "root" in the
screen clears and login prompt comes again.
This might be something to do with security (at one point it was flahsing
unable to find module pam)
- the network card doesnt appear to be function.   It recognises there is a
compaq net card, but on reboot it says initialsiation FAILED.
I could try a sep PCI card.

I think the two probs are linked - during install it asks me if I want to
download some security related products accross the net and this is a bit
hard without a net card.
(and without loging on its a bit hard to diagnose!).

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk