controlling headless pc - was: [Gllug] OT - general advice required on possible home setup

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Tue Sep 17 18:10:02 UTC 2002

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 06:34:53PM +0200, John Hearns wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 18:23, Pavel Bradut Boghita wrote:
> > Thanks a lot John for your comments,
> >
> > Ok, I'll bite the bullet and do a fresh Debian install on one of the
> > machines. Could you please recommend a partition scheme for this soon to be
> > an ftp server machine (hard disk can be 2 gig or 10 gig), or shall I just
> > leave one partition covering the whole disk ?
> I shall leave this one open to the floor!
>
> (Personally, I would have a separate partition, or even a second disk
> for an FTP server. If you only have one partition, bad things will
> happen when the users fill the disk)

Hi Pavel,

I agree with John on this seperate partitions for /var /usr etc. I have
included some links below for ideas.  In the long term you may want to
seriously consider chrooting services like ftp http and mail, though get
these services running properly normally before you consider chroot as
an option.

If you are doing a Debian install and you seem determined to do it
properly, very wise. :)

http://www.uk.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/index.en.html

this is a guide for installing and running Debian properly/securely it
will take you from pre-install checklist to pratical step by step
instructions for installing and securing a server install, including
patitioning schemes.

http://rute.sourceforge.net

This is a guide to being Linux sys admin it filled with practical
instructions and advice, I hope it helps but please do ask on the list.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk