[Gllug] Whitelist-only spam filtering

Wulf Forrester-Barker wulf.f-b at uhl.nhs.uk
Thu Sep 12 11:00:29 UTC 2002

<jj at positive-internet.com> said:

> Did you spot the bit towards the end of the page though ;-) [about
spamassassin at work]

Yes - and I can understand the point being made. The whitelist is a
useful concept when you can define the range of acceptable emails to a
select group of known users. Beyond that, it's only useful for picking
out 'VIP' emails for priority attention (hence my entirely theoretical
musings on a three tier system).

Alternatively, just keep your head down and avoid getting too much mail
in the first place (I filter the flood of GLLUG messages into a separate
folder, and separate out one or two other major streams as well - the
trickle of everything else is easy to keep tabs on).

Wulf

wulf.f-b at uhl.nhs.uk

DISCLAIMER:

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual and
not necessarily the Trust. This email and any files transmitted with
it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual
or entity to whom they are addressed. Any unauthorised disclosure of
the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

The contents of this email may contain software viruses which could
damage your own computer system. Whilst we have taken every
reasonable precaution to minimise this risk, we cannot accept liability
for any damage which you sustain as a result of software viruses.
You should therefore carry out your own virus checks before opening
the attachment.

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender or
postmaster at uhl.nhs.uk. Please then delete this email.

University Hospital Lewisham
Tel: 020 8333 3000
Web: http://www.lewisham.nhs.uk/