[Gllug] 64K Channels and all that ...

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 19 22:47:39 UTC 2002

On Thu 19 Sep, t.clarke wrote:

> Just out of interest, we have a connection through a Cisco ISDN router I think,
> to the UK Customs facility (PACE) which uses the D channel in the manner
> described.  If I recall correctly, when the other end wants us to collect data
> they send some kind of control packet over the permanently on D channel which
> causes the router to 'dial out' over one of the 64K channels and initiate a
> connection to the host computer.
>
> Out of total curiosity, does anynone know how ISDN data (being synchronous ?)
> is 'framed' so that each byte is recognised ??
>

> Tim

   A quick look at the reference book says that basic rate ISDN has two 64K
B (Bearer) channels plus one 16K D (Data) channel, while Primary rate ISDN
has 23 B channels plus one D channel. The D channels carry the control data.
It is possible to link any B channels on demand for faster data
transmission.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk