[Gllug] Modems again

Norman Duncan normand at teleline.es
Fri Sep 6 09:11:49 UTC 2002

Thanks for help at stage 1.
 I now havedownloaded and unpacked a bunch of files from Smartlink into
a tmp directory in my SUSE 7.3
I am now trying to go through the steps in their instructions (below)
but I  don't understand ... though I learn fast, I am a complete rookie
at this sort of stuff ! I am stuck at steps 3, 4 & 5

Norman

1. Unpack tar.gz package file:
     $ gzip -dc slmdm-2.6.X.tar.gz | tar xf -

2. 'cd' to package directory:
     $ cd slmdm-2.6.X

3. Review and edit (if need) 'Makefile'.

   Note: Probably you will want to correct in Makefile path to your
local linux kernel header files:

          KERNEL_INCLUDES=/path/to/linux/include

         Another way is to pass command line the parameter while
running 'make':

          $ make KERNEL_INCLUDES=/path/to/linux/include ...

4. Run 'make' command to compile package:
         $ make

5. Install.
        # make install-usb
              if you are going to use USB modem.

   It will install:
   - modem kernel modules slmdm.o (modem core), slfax.o (fax)  into
'/lib/modules/<kernel-version>/misc' directory  (standard linux modules'
directory).
   - hardware specific kernel module slamrmo.o (for AMR/CNR/PCI) or
slusb.o (for USB) into '/lib/modules/<kernel-version>/misc'  directory
(standard linux modules' directory).
   - country settings data file 'country.dat' into directory '/etc'.

   Also it will:
   - create character tty device entry '/dev/ttySL0' with major  number
212 and symbolic link 'dev/modem'.
   - config you '/etc/modules.conf' file in order to provide
possibility for loading the modem modules into kernel on demand
automatically by kmod, when you are going to use them.

   Note: currently you cannot use both AMR/CNR/PCI and USB Modems.

6. Config modem country.

   You can configure you current country by using module parameters
'country' or 'country_code'. ((SPAIN))
   Add 'options' directive line to file '/etc/modules.conf':
 options slmdm country=<MyCountry>
   , for example
options slmdm country=USA
   , or use module parameter while module loading:
     # modprobe slmdm country=<MyCountry>

   Use 'slver -c' to see list of all supported countries and their
   codes (utility 'slver' may be found in package directory).

   Note: Command ATI7 shows installed country setting.