[Gllug] OT anyone operating online forums?

Steve Nicholson steve at kiwibum.com
Thu Sep 12 15:05:58 UTC 2002

Anyone have any ideas on the value or usage of old forum posts on their web sites?

We are redeveloping a cycling site that has a lot of archived forum posts, 3000 on one section.  We have been questioning whether we should migrate them all over to the new system on Zope, currently they are on webBBS.  I was going to check the log files to see how often they where searched or the archives used, but on checking this part of the site myself I don't think it would get used much since it's so slow.  I feel this would skew the resulting usage stats some what.

Do you find your visitors are looking at old posts, e.g. over 3 months old or just look at the recent ones?  Note I'm talking about online forums not archived mailing lists here.  I realise the subject topic will have a lot to do with this also.

thanks for any advise.  My feeling is they would probably get used if they were quick to get at and search, particularly in our "touring" section which could have a lot of useful information to people.

Steve.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk