[Gllug] O(1) scheduler

John HEARNS John.Hearns at cern.ch
Mon Sep 23 15:56:29 UTC 2002

Has anyone worked with the O(1) scheduler patches?
http://people.redhat.com/mingo/O(1)-scheduler/

There's an interesting utility on Freshmeat today
which is for setting the scheduling priority of
processes.
http://freshmeat.net/projects/schedtool/?topic_id=136
Cool. I probably won't be let to play with it on our
farm though.
Any real-life experiences?

I was prompted to think of this because earlier today
someone on my local LUG asked about limiting processes
to (say) 25% CPU maximum.
(I think he was asking about laptop use, and heating
under long term high CPU use)
This is of course impossible under the normal Linux
scheduler - if there is no other process runnable, a process
will take the CPU available.

I idly wonder though about fooling with process scheduling
to end up with a process just getting (say) 25%
Ideas? Thoughts?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk