[Gllug] [slightly ot] ADSL config fun

Mark Lowes hamster at korenwolf.net
Wed Sep 18 08:04:19 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-09-18 at 08:41, Chris Bell wrote:
>    I have been told that an ADSL box connected to a BT line must have its
> own official IP address because of the complications involved in PPP over
> ATM. I understand that the ATM data packets are all 48 Bytes, with control

The IP connection is made by BT creating an ATM PVC between the CPE
(your router) and the HGR (homegateway router, BT's box at the ISP).

If the connection is NAT then the CPE must have a routable IP on the
external (ATM) interface.

If the connection is routed (ie a netblock on the ethernet) then the CPE
IP is still required, but can be from rfc1918 space, and the routed
block is included in the radius authentication so a route can be setup
on the HGR to the netblock via the CPE IP address.
</freckinghorriblesystem>

    Mark

--
The Flying Hamster <hamster at korenwolf.net>