[Gllug] Increasing file descriptors

John HEARNS John.Hearns at cern.ch
Thu Sep 12 12:24:10 UTC 2002

On 12 Sep 2002, John Hearns wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 13:07, Martyn Drake wrote:
> > 3) Echoed the following:-
> >
> >  	echo  8192 > /proc/sys/fs/file-max
> >
> I was looking at file-max recently myself - I wrote a
> SUE(*) feature to increase it only last week.
>
> Actually, a cleaner way to do this is to edit
> /etc/sysctl.conf
> That's a nice place to set other system type things too.
>
> 8192 is the default, no?
> I would advise something bigger on a server machine
> - maybe 32768

I should give the recipe for this - people listen in to
the list to learn.

Edit the file /etc/sysctl.conf and add the line
fs.file-max = 32786

/sbin/sysctl -a  tells you what else can be set

On a reboot, the script rc.sysinit should set the values,
or you can do it immediately by /sbin/sysctl -p /etc/sysctl.conf

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk