[Gllug] Have I been compromised??

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Mon Sep 2 07:35:43 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2002-09-02 at 09:29, Chris Bell wrote:
> On Mon 02 Sep, omphe wrote:
> >
> > Need some advice.  My apache logs show a few entries from outside
> > addresses, everything else coming from the localhost address.  All
> > outside requests have been responded to with 404's or 405's.
> > Chkrootkit detected nothing.  The history binary is in order.  ps seems
> > to be working fine.  Have I been compromised?
> >
> > My inexperience tells me to reinstall, keeping only non-binaries in my
> > backups.  Need I clean off my windows partition as well?  Not sure if
> > I'm being paranoid or not.
> >
> > Could use some guidance.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> > Branden Faulls
> >

> Would they be visits from well known search engines scanning for web sites?

I should not weigh in here, but I would check on network, routing and
DNS issues first.
Easiest way to do this might be to browse your site from a box on
another network, or have a few GLLUG people do this (discussion
off-list!) whilst you are doing a tail -f on your logs.

Is there anything else which makes you suspect that you have been
compromised?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk