[Gllug] help lost my CD-burner?

Steve Nicholson steve at kiwibum.com
Tue Sep 17 10:22:13 UTC 2002

On 17 Sep 2002 10:39:18 +0100
"John Winters" <john at linuxemporium.co.uk> wrote:

> When I tried to use the pre-packaged kernels in Woody I found there
> seemed to be an awful lot of basic necessary stuff not there.  I'd
> recommend building your own kernel from the Debian kernel source
> package.  It's only 2 commands to do the build and the output is then
> your very own custom .deb ready to install with dpkg.
>
> It looks like you don't have the relevant modules built/loaded to >access the CD drive as a SCSI device.

This is the frustrating thing it looks to me as the right modules are loaded but I don't know enough about it to be sure.  I have all the modules built from what I can see but don't know what other ones I need to load.  Have compiled kernels before so might have to do this but seems a bit extreme when I'm sure it's something very simple that I'm missing/not doing.  It must be possible to do with modules.

these are the loaded modules at the moment.
/home/steve# lsmod
sg                     27940   0  (autoclean) (unused)
parport_pc             21864   1  (autoclean)
lp                      5920   0  (autoclean)
parport                22816   1  (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]
usb-ohci               17440   0  (unused)
usbcore                47936   0  [usb-ohci]
v_midi                  4992   0  (unused)
sound                  52428   0  [v_midi]
es1371                 25824   0
soundcore               3556   8  [sound es1371]
ac97_codec              9248   0  [es1371]
gameport                1484   0  [es1371]
3c59x                  24648   1
af_packet              11464   1
aha1542                10212   0  (unused)
scsi_mod               84792   2  [sg aha1542]
isa-pnp                27752   0  [aha1542]
rtc                     5368   0  (autoclean)
unix                   13316  20  (autoclean)
ide-disk                6560   3  (autoclean)
ide-probe-mod           7968   0  (autoclean)
ide-mod               129036   3  (autoclean) [ide-disk ide-probe-mod]
ext2                   30304   1  (autoclean)
ext3                   56224   0  (autoclean)
jbd                    34840   0  (autoclean) [ext3]

thanks for your input, I am logged in as root too, first thing I checked:).

Steve.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk