[Gllug] Help with setting up a Router

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Tue Sep 17 11:44:00 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 13:12, Bush, Jonathan wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I was wondering if anyone could help me. I would like to set-up a Linux box
> to do my internal routing. They are all static route and will never change.
> I am familiar with RedHat 7.x but would just like to install the basic
> installation, no firewall stuff. We have two connection, one for all our
> internet traffic and the other is for our internal connection. What I need
> is all IP address that go to the internal site to be route via one IP
> address and all other traffic to go to the internet.

John Winters has given you an excellent answer on this.

I would add though that you can do this using the Linux Router Project
http://www.linuxrouter.org
You download a floppy, and boot your router system 'diskless' -ie.
the RAM is used instead of the hard disk.
So you can try 'playing' with different configurations without affecting
the hard disk on a box, or you might have an old discarded box
available - old 486 or Pentium would be good.

LRP has one advantage in that you can restart your router back to a
known initial state by just cycling  the power.

LPR also would have the advantage over a default RH install in that you
know that very few services will be running - and hence less chance of
unwanted/undeeded services being present on your public address.

I would download LRP, and give it a try if I were you. You will
definitely learn something.

I also see on Freshmeat a firewall distribution based on LRP
http://www.frazierwall.com/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk