[Gllug] Disk problems

Adam Bower adam.bower at framestore-cfc.com
Wed Sep 11 09:39:51 UTC 2002

Alain Williams wrote:

> Anyone any idea ????? what is happening. I intend to replace the 2 other disks asap tomorrow.
> This will mean completely new hardware except for the SCSI tape & the SCSI card (Adaptec 7899,
> I know that it over kill for just one device - but that is what could be got quickly when I built it).
>
> My theory is that the original IDE controller failed & somehow damaged the disks.

I would stick each disk one at a time into another box and back them up
onto tape or another disk etc. etc. put the suspect disk onto an IDE
controller all by itself also. Then if you see a new kernel complaining
about drive errors etc. etc. then you know you have a bad disk.

If you ascertain that the disks are ok, then you may want to look at
motherboard, Ram, cpu, psu, cables scsi controller and gfx cards....

Adam

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk