[Gllug] [slightly ot] ADSL config fun

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Wed Sep 18 10:21:49 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 18 September 2002 9:04 am, Mark Lowes wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-09-18 at 08:41, Chris Bell wrote:
> >    I have been told that an ADSL box connected to a BT line must have its
> > own official IP address because of the complications involved in PPP over
> > ATM. I understand that the ATM data packets are all 48 Bytes, with
> > control
>
> The IP connection is made by BT creating an ATM PVC between the CPE
> (your router) and the HGR (homegateway router, BT's box at the ISP).
>
> If the connection is NAT then the CPE must have a routable IP on the
> external (ATM) interface.
>
> If the connection is routed (ie a netblock on the ethernet) then the CPE
> IP is still required, but can be from rfc1918 space, and the routed
> block is included in the radius authentication so a route can be setup
> on the HGR to the netblock via the CPE IP address.
> </freckinghorriblesystem>

Hooray. I have had the same thing and just used NAT and left it at that :-/
It's a DLINK DSL-500 router but I gather it's the same internally as the
DSL-504 mentioned earlier. I spoke to PlusNet support and they didn't have a
clue. I have an IP block with them so I should be able to get no-NAT working.
Does this mean it is a limitation of the router or do I need to call
BT/PlusNet and get things done to the line?
TIA
Steve

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk