[Gllug] SSH VNC & Tunnels

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Thu Sep 5 11:32:37 UTC 2002

On Thursday 05 September 2002 10:46 am, French, Alastair wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have been trying to get vnc working over ssh for a couple of days now
> without any success. I hope someone can give me some pointers please.
>
> My setup is SuSE 7.1 with OpenSSH 3.x, (I can't remember exactly what
> version it is). The ssh side of things is not a problem, I can connect and
> login fine. On the client side (windows I'm afraid at work). I am using
> putty with a tunnel set up from Local port 5902 to localhost:5906 (vnc
> server is currently running on desktop 6).
>
> When I run vnc viewer and enter localhost:5902 (or localhost:2) as the
> desktop to connect to it goes away and fails to do anything, not even
> return an error. The logs on the client show that the connection was
> refused by server. On the server /var/log/messages shows nothing at all.
>
> A few extra bits of info. The external connectivity from home is via a
> SMC7401 ADSL modem / router. Port forwarding is setup for port 22 only.
> This has worked in the past, and the only difference is that I was using a
> cable modem with no port forwarding (it was transparent).
>
> I have also tried this from the LAN side of the machine (it is also acting
> as a firewall) running VNC server and get the same results, so I think I
> can rule out the port forwarding and the modem / router. The only thing I
> can think of is that with the windows version of VNC server you have to
> explicitly allow localhost loopback connections, but I can't find this in
> the linux version.

The VNC X server will be running on port 5806 not 5906 on your Linux box.
And the VNCViewer program on Windows will be trying to connect to port 5802 on
your localhost not 5902.
The 590x ports are for when you are running the Java VNC client (in IE say).
That is if you connect to the box on 5906 with a browser, it will serve up a
Java applet which runs a VNC session inside the browser window (neat!)
So, with your current setup, try connectiog to http://localhost:5902 (from
your Windows machine) and see if you connect.

If you forward 5802 --> localhost:5806 and 5902 --> localhost:5906, then you
have a choice :-)
Steve

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk