[Gllug] CVS vs RCS

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Sun Sep 22 23:18:44 UTC 2002

Liam Delahunty wrote:
> Sean Burlington wrote:
>

>>I suggest getting your feet wet - it is hard to appreciate the benefits
>
>>from the outside :)
>
> Okay, you've convinced me. Where do I start? Is http://www.cvshome.org the
> best place for a newbie? I haven't had a decent look, I've got to feed and
> bath the baby...

cvshome is good

also try http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/cvsbook.html

(covers the same material)

I guess you will need to get a windows CVS client - I don't know
anything about these except that they exist.

CVS most likey be installed on the Linux machine, if this is running ssh
- you can use ssh to communicate easily and securely between the server
and client.

read about setting up a repostitory - (for new or existing projects)

then just check out your CVS project - add, commit etc... :)

A lot of the documentation is about branches - leave this untill you are
comfortable with the basics.

well that's a vague overview - the real documentation is good enough
that there is little point me going into more detail here.

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk