[Gllug] Disk problems

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Sep 11 07:59:14 UTC 2002

On Tue 10 Sep, Alain Williams wrote:

> A machine that I look after has suddenly developed disk problems.
>
> P400, reasonable memory 2.4.18 kernel. 3 disks (hda, hdb, hdd - all IDE), SCSI tape.
> Reasonably busy: 1,000,000 processes/day. Dell box of some sort. Put together April la
> st
> year - redhat 7.1
> Up 6 months (a fortnight under - damn) and it dies slowly, processes will not exit,
> but can run new ones. There is a regular clicking noise (sounds like from one of
> the disks). Try to sync, reboot. All disks are invisible - even when boot from
> floppy.
>
> Diagnose bust EDI controller, rip out disks & put into new box (same, just a bit faste
> r).
>
> Seems OK, go home.
>
> Box dies at 4am when the backup starts.
> Reboot: notice error messages relating to hdd in /var/log/messages.
> Install new hdd.
>
> Several hours later (now) I notice errors relating to the other 2 disks (hda, hdb),

   Check the power supply lead feeding the drives, including any loop-on
connectors for cooling fans, etc. A regular clicking noise often occurs when
the disc is running slowly, there is not enough air drag from the rotating
disc to release the safety catch.
   I had a similar problem with a CDROM drive recently, and was just about
to dump the second drive when I found a faulty crimp in the lead.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk