[Gllug] [slightly ot] ADSL config fun

Mark Lowes hamster at korenwolf.net
Fri Sep 20 08:10:53 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 09:01, John Winters wrote:
> It's always puzzled me why they don't go the whole hog and just make the
> connection ADSL, then piggy-back any required voice circuits over it.  I
> have a point-to-point DSL connection and each of the DSL boxes has a
> telephone socket on it in addition to the Ethernet one.  When I use the
> telephone circuit it just steals about 48k from the data connection.
> You could easily piggy-back one permanent ISDN D channel over the ADSL
> connection, then snaffle bearer channels as needed.

Possibly because ADSL is not 'reliable' yet, certainly based on the
number of faults we get which require an engineer to either kick the
DSLAM or go to the customer site to poke that end of things.  Whereas
it's rare to hear of faults on the standard BT damp bits of copper
service.

    Mark

--
The Flying Hamster <hamster at korenwolf.net>