[Gllug] regexp searches in mutt

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Fri Sep 27 19:11:44 UTC 2002

Jim Bailey wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Could some one tell me what I am doing wrong here please?
>
> I am trying to tag messages in mutt using shift t and then a regexp say
> for gllug, [gllug]* which I believe should tag all messages starting
> with [gllug].  However it tags a load of stuff it shouldn't, my skill at
> regexp is less than optimal could some offer advice as to where I am
> going wrong please.

[gllug]* means "any number of g's l's and u's"

[ and ] are metacharecters, if you want to use them literally you need
to escape them

not sure about mutt in particular but if that pattern is matching loads
of stuff the pattern matches if it is contained in a string.

you probably want \[gllug\] (any string containing '[gllug]')

or posiblly ^\[gllug\].* (a string starting with [gllug] followed by any
amount of anything)

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk