[Gllug] gllug meetings and talks.

Steve Nicholson yahoogroups at yoursolutions.com
Tue Sep 17 10:09:40 UTC 2002

Time to join the debate.
Regular meetings are a good idea to get every one together, it's not always possible to make a particular date but if you know it's regular it's easier to schedule in.  I fixed venue helps with this.

As far as talk topics go I don't think it's finding the topics that is the problem, it will be getting people that feel they know enough about the topic to talk.  By this I mean there are plenty of topics, as mentioned earlier there are now over 8000 packages in Debian, each one is a mini topic in it's own right. With mention of over 300 list subscribers and 60 or mover turning up at the meeting we also have plenty of speakers. One of the things I would like to see are group members do a quick intro or talk on there favourite app or how to set something up, like the ssh talk/demo on sat.

As a relative newbie I would love to see basic talks on:
- setting up printing,
- connecting to the internet with a modem for laptop, desktop, server (no I haven't used a modem or dialup with linux everthing I do is via 10baseT/ADSL)
- different window managers.
- different mail clients.
- setting up dual head on X.
- compiling apps
- changing file system to a journalling? one.
- the list goes on.

These are all things that get discussed on the list, bringing it together at the meetings would help old and new uses alike. Yes all this information is available (RTFM) but it all takes time to wade through.  On the list of things above the most useful sections of a talk are the tricks/traps to watch out for, what's the best way to trouble shoot the problems etc.  I think everyone would know one topic well enough to share it with others to help us all learn faster.

I've been playing/using linux on server for 2 years, desktop for 6 months and still consider myself very much a newbie because I know how much I don't know.  I always hold back from new stuff due to the time it takes me sorting out the little problems to make things work.  Having somewhere to go to hear about how others are doing things and their experiences would be nice.  I have enjoyed the talks on micro-kernal code and other "guru" topics, would like to hear more as I find them interesting but feel they are on a level higher than I need.  The guru talks don't attract me to the meetings it's the basic topics that make me think about going and the guru stuff adds to the interest.  We will never please everyone, if everyone went along with an expectation or attitude of what can I share to help others learn and what can I learn from others more people would be pleased.

My 2p worth, is it worth putting up a wiki on the new gllug site for talk topics that people are interested in?

I also don't care if someone profits from providing venues, there are no free lunches, if our members are benefiting why shouldn't the provider get something to help cover their costs. Free can be taken too far.

Steve.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk