[Gllug] time for a change

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Fri Sep 27 11:01:47 UTC 2002

On Friday 27 September 2002 9:48 am, Adam Bower wrote:
> Tethys wrote:
> >>Any suggestions for an alternative OS/Distro?
> >
> > The obvious answer is to try them all. I've advocated this before here.
> > Acquiring knowledge of as many different OSes as possible is IMHO an
> > excellent idea. Make you machine multi-boot, and try each of them.
> > I'd suggest at least Linux, one of the BSDs (personally, I like OpenBSD),
> > and possibly some of the others (Plan 9, GNU/HURD, etc.)
>
> Aaah no, I have plenty of experience of them (well not plan9 or
> GNU/Hurd) but I want a change to one new desktop and not lots of them as
> I have work that needs to get done, I just want something that I can
> play with in my spare time also :)
>
> I am leaning towards Gentoo at the moment but I tried it a version or
> two back and it broke something quite nastily on my system, although I
> think I could attribute this possibly to Grub. The only thing with
> Gentoo is that it is a Linux and I don't know if it will really give me
> much to do with it although I am hoping that if i do go that way
> building an optimised system may give me a little extra speed.

Try OpenBSD :-)
It is very easy to install, very minimal to start with, but can be built into
quite a flashy looking desktop system relatively easily. Current version is
3.1 but 3.2 is out in a month or two I think. And it is sufficiently
different from standard Linux systems that it might keep you guessing for a
bit :-) eg. startup scripts and configuration etc...
I like it.
Steve

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk