[Gllug] shared debian cache dir

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Mon Sep 30 14:47:16 UTC 2002

John Hearns(john.hearns at cern.ch)@Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 04:07:14PM +0200:
> On Mon, 2002-09-30 at 15:23, Vincent AE Scott wrote:
> > I'm getting to like this thing you call debian to such an extent that i
> > have more than one instance of it running now.  but, how can i share one
> > copy of /var/cache/apt/archives amongst many installations?
>
> Vince, you ask an interesting question.
> I'm 'into' configuration management, but with RPMs.
>
> One word of caution /var is the directory/partition  for a system to
> keep its own local things - var for variable (of course you know this)
> So maybe that's a big hint - its shouldn't be shared out.

hmmm, i think you might be slightly wrong there John.  Things like
/var/mail or /var/spool/mail are often shared out.  On a debian system
the default htdocs directory is /var/www similarly so on MDK.

> Maybe you could run a partial mirror (is this possible?)

indeed it is, with the help of apt-move, as suggested by the other John.
i have painlessly moved all my archived .deb's into a directory
hierarchy that resembles a debian mirror.  It's not a complete i386
mirror (yet), but it looks easy enough to actually do that.

this debian thing has some very cool tools.

> or some sort of cache. I'm thinking of like a squid webcache, but with a
> long persistence time.

i guess that might be possible, but I'd prefer more control over the
data.

> Or maybe (yukk, horrible) the packages could be replaced by pointers to
> ones on a shared filesystem.

Alas, most of my FS are reiserfs, and NFS exporting from them proves
troublesome.  altho, i haven't had any problems yet using sfs[1].

-v

[1] http://www.fs.net

--
keys:  http://codex.net/pgp/gpg.asc http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc

 Ethernet (n): something used to catch the etherbunny

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk