Futher details of Frank Pohlmanns talk (Was -Re: [Gllug] 2nd posting - GLLUG meeting - 14th September - This Saturday.)

Colin Murphy SpudULike at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Sep 11 05:40:02 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 10 September 2002 7:16 pm, Colin Murphy wrote:
> Next GLLUG meeting
>

> * Around 1pm  Frank Pohlmann will tell us about the current state of
> Unicode/UTF-8 and how it is implemented on Linux.

*Frank Pohlmann is a  Open Source writer and advocate
as well as a Linux system administrator, whose
itinerant life across Asia, America and Europe has
convinced him that Unicode is not only a relevant to
students of obscure glibc APIs, but also to those of
us who want to read documentation in character sets
other than ISO 8859-1.

*He will talk about the forest of acronyms growing in
this space, starting with ISO 10646, and Unicode 3.2,
while gently making fellow LUG members aware of the
pitfalls of using POSIX locales.

*The talk will be somewhat theoretical, (but I will
talk about Pango 1.0 as well) since many of the
(mis)understandings of what Unicode and UTF-8 actually
represent have to be cleared away first. Then we might
be able to delve into the secrets of developing fonts
and keyboard drivers for scripts as Tengwar and
Mongolian. After studying P'ags'Pha script, first, of
course.

*As we all know, Linux started with a Finnish
keyboard...and that's where the story of Linux
internationalisation, Unicode and i18n standards
really begins....

--
Colin Murphy
SpudULike at blueyonder.co.uk

A man for all seasons, 'specially pepper.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk