[Gllug] Network maps

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Fri Sep 27 11:39:39 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-09-27 at 12:06, Xander D Harkness wrote:
> Adam Bower wrote:
>
> > Ok another question for the day.
> >
> > Does anybody know of any good network mapping/monitoring tools for
> > linux that are free (as in beer would do at a real stretch) all I have
> > found so far is this http://www.marko.net/cheops/ but it looks as
> > though it is no longer maintained. I am about to give it a go and try
> > and build and install it etc. but any other suggestions would be welcome.
>
> On the network monitoring side you might want to look at ntop.
>
> Ntop provides lots of very useful information, such as who is sucking
> all your bandwidth, who is transfering data to where etc. etc.

Grin.
We have a network troubleshooter here. I'm not sure if he runs ntop,
but he certainly does have some good tools for monitoring who is doing
what.

I got a well-deserved rap over the knuckles for running the Bonnie++
disk performance tool. On a network shared filesystem. On a 10Mbps hub.
Shared with other people.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk