[Gllug] problems with KDM

Vincent AE Scott gllug at codex.net
Thu Sep 19 21:06:46 UTC 2002

Stuart Sears(stuart at sjsears.com)@Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 09:38:46PM +0100:

> Hi.
> HGoping somone can point me in the right direction - This may be an entirely
> foolish question but:
> at the moemnt, running Slackware 8.1, I cna boot happily into runlevel 4,
> where KDM shows both root and me in the user list. when i select myself and
> login, no matter what windowmanager I choose, KDM simply restarts, leaving me
> back at the login screen. I assume that I am missing som coinfig file or
> otherin my home directory, but have no idea what it is. I can start any
> window manager with startx and an appropriate editing/version of ~/.xinitrc
> or .xsession, but I would really prefer to have a graphical login!
> thanks in advance for any pointers!

two things spring to mind:
does the home directory exist and can it be read/written to?
and have you tried moving $HOME/.kde to $HOME/.bak.kde ?

ok, thats actually three things.

having used mandrake cooker for a long time, ive become used to [kg]dm
upgrades which cause logins to fail.

-v

--
keys:  http://codex.net/pgp/gpg.asc http://codex.net/pgp/pgp.asc