[Gllug] More MySQL and scripts

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Wed Sep 25 05:50:40 UTC 2002

Bruce Richardson wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 01:14:59AM +0100, Andy wrote:
> > If I was you I'd use PHP to do the queries and generate the e-mails.  PHP is
> > quite simple to learn and can be run as a shell as a cron task.
>
> I agree about scripts in cronjobs but this is one case where Perl
> definitely has the edge over PHP.  The DBI layer is much more advanced
> and there's a whole range of modules available that make e-mail
> generation and manipulation easy.
>
> I'm not trying to start a PHP v Perl war - I use both.  But this is an
> area where Perl is much stronger.

Xander, there is a standard for sending out meeting and calendaring
information.
Too early in the morning for me to remember the incantaton, but I think
it is an xcal attachment. Evolution does this, and I kinda wonder if Outlook
can accept these attachments.
Does anyone know if there is a Perl module for formatting these attachments?
If so, that might be a neat script to wrie for contribution to Horde.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk