[Gllug] Slapper worm

Mark Lowes hamster at korenwolf.net
Wed Sep 18 11:23:06 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-09-18 at 12:10, John Winters wrote:
> Hmm.  I've just had a look.  The probes I'm seeing are to:
>
>     TCP 22

Looking for recent openssh hole

>     TCP 23

Does anyone leave telnet open anymore?

>     TCP 25
>     TCP 1080
>     TCP 3128
>     TCP 8080

Open relays.

>     TCP 443

slapper.

>     TCP 1433

mssql bug

>     TCP 1521
>     TCP 2000
>     TCP 32771
>     TCP 32772
>     TCP 2002

no idea.

>     TCP 3306

not aware of any holes on 3306.

> but none to:
>
>     UDP 2002
>
> and it clearly is clearly working through IP addresses in sequence
> because I have 4 IP addresses on that subnet and it tried them all.  Is
> this slapper or something else?

This is someone port scanning looking for likely holes to come back and
bulk attack later.  You get used to port scans after a while, reporting
them rarely gets action from the ISP :(

The logic from the scanners point of view is "find as many IPs with
these ports open and keep a nice db, when a new hole is announced get
the script and hit all those IPs last known live on that port as fast
and hard as possible"

Yes, they are b*tards who need to look up the word "ethical".

--
The Flying Hamster <hamster at korenwolf.net>
http://www.korenwolf.net/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk