[Gllug] Network maps

Adam Bower adam.bower at framestore-cfc.com
Fri Sep 27 09:55:23 UTC 2002

John Hearns wrote:
> Cheops has a useful feature for simple monitoring - ie, you can ping,
> or make an HTTP transfer, or SMTP or DNS on chosen machines at
> given intervals of time (say five minutes). Cheops will alarm when
> it misses a connection.
> Sadly cheops-ng does not have the alarm feature yet.

Using Big Brother for this now :) going to roll it out on everything
important soon.

> On the network monitoring side, if you are interested, I set up MRTG,
> which Dave C and Mike Milne were quite interested in (**). I think there
> is
> a lot of use for MRTG in monitoring servers too.

There is but I am looking at the larrd extension for big brother which
will do graphs using rrdtool and big brother as the information gatherer.

> I also used Opennms - back then, it was a bit difficult to install.
> Now the install is a lot easier - I think they have dropped the
> requirements for Tomcat. If you are interested I can help you through
> an Opennms install - but you will need a beefy machine to run it on!
> Opennms might well be just the thing for you for monitoring render
> farms.

Hmmmm, i will take a look at this Opennms maybe, always on the lookout
for better monitoring and reporting tools :)

Adam

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk