[Gllug] Increasing file descriptors

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Thu Sep 12 11:53:22 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 13:07, Martyn Drake wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to increase the number of file descriptors under the 2.4.18
> kernel (compiled with XFS 1.1 patches).  Following all the usual
> conventions of:-
>
> 1) Editing /etc/security/limits.conf and adding:-
>
> *	soft	nofile	1024
> *	hard	nofile	4096
>
> 2) Added the following to /etc/pam.d/login:-
>
> 	session required /lib/security/pam_limits.so
>
> 3) Echoed the following:-
>
>  	echo  8192 > /proc/sys/fs/file-max

I was looking at file-max recently myself - I wrote a
SUE(*) feature to increase it only last week.

Actually, a cleaner way to do this is to edit
/etc/sysctl.conf
That's a nice place to set other system type things too.

8192 is the default, no?
I would advise something bigger on a server machine
- maybe 32768

(*) SUE - Standard Unix Environment. Our way
of setting up and checking system configurations.
You don't need to know much more than that.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk