[Gllug] Help with block device drivers

adr gllug at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Sun Sep 15 18:26:27 UTC 2002

I am writing a block device driver (for Dreamcast flash fs - which is similar,
though not the same as, DOS FAT).

My driver does the simple things like read raw data off the flash etc, but I
want to mount the filesystem etc. (If anyone wants to see the code go to
http://sourceforge.net/projects/linuxdc and look in the cvs under
linux-sh-dc/fs).

The thing is, I cannot really find something that clearly explains things such
as superblocks etc. The two books I have - the O'Reilly "Writing Linux Device
Drivers" and "Understanding the Linux Kernel" either appear to ignore the
subject or are very much focused on ext2.

Does anyone know of a good online resource that might explain these concepts
in relatively clear terms? I have looked on google, but as usual, all you get
is a 1001 messages from email lists which do little to clarify things....

Adrian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk