[Gllug] Whitelist-only spam filtering

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Thu Sep 12 09:46:55 UTC 2002

A discussion took place about spam last night at Dorkbot which got me
thinking.  I've now had too many false-positives from all the various
blacklists.  I'm also spending too much time maintaining spam blocks.
I'm thinking of experimenting with whitelist-only email.

As far as I can see, there are two approaches to this kind of system:
1) Filter anything that isn't in the whitelist to a box and manually
   maintain the whitelist every so often. (Perhaps even with a
   temporary whitelist for addresses that I have emailed in the past x
   unit of time.)
2) Use a challenge-reponse system for addresses that aren't in the
   whitelist so they can get themselves into the whitelist without my
   input.

So can anyone recommend some whitelist code that has thought through
the problems inherent in such a system?  Ideally any such system
would be able to hook into mutt so I can whitelist the address at the
press of a key.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

Why sir, there is every possibility that you will soon be
able to tax it!

- Michael Faraday 1791-1867: to Gladstone, when asked about
the usefulness of electricity