Control of MX record - (Was - Re: [Gllug] Web hosting, email and dns)

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Sep 8 23:40:20 UTC 2002

On Sat, 7 Sep 2002, Colin Murphy wrote:

> On Friday 30 August 2002 6:59 pm, Sean Burlington wrote:
>

> > but you can get good service for little money
> >
> > I use 123-reg.co.uk
> >
> > They don't offer much by way of DNS - but allow you to take control of
> > that easily.
> >
> > no email or webspace - but you do get email and web forwarding.
>
> I've registered a me.uk domain with them, only to find that I can't change
> the MX record.  I was planning on running a mail server - just for the fun
> of it - can I still do this without access to the MX record?
>
> When you say "They don't offer much by way of DNS - but allow you to take
> control of that easily." what do you mean?
>
> If not, what service am I looking to buy to get control of the MX record?

 Hi, sorry for the late reply, I've just came back from holidays.

 I have 3 domains with 123-reg.co.uk, and a few others that I manage,
 basically in the 123 site you specify your DNS servers, i.e. we point
 them to our static ip address(es), where we run the primary dns server.

 So, we have complete control, I don't know about blueyonder, but with
 pipex xtreme it works(tm). The package comes with 5 static ips.

 Whatch out, you have to use the "Change nameservers" option not the
 "Manage DNS".

 Formi.

   . .                              Formi
   / \ GZ           MDK 8.2 ThinkPad 560E
  // \\/
 /( _ )     Linux Registered User #235743
  ^   ^

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk